January 17, 2010

Garden of Eden


There were so many things I was just buzzing to write about but I thought it best to start at the beginning with the basics. I think the most natural and gratifying thing someone can do is plant something, watch it grow and make use of your efforts produce.

I recently planted an herb bucket not only for the culinary convenience and indulgence of having access to fresh herbs on a daily basis, but to test my green thumb and plant something for the first time.

My expectations were not high however my enthusiasm was binding to see this venture through. There was not much gardening skill involved and the results were instant as I choose to plant pre-potted herbs, although once I had picked my selection of herbs with careful planning and potted them in the bucket I was smitten.

This tiny bucket of pre-mature green herbs became my enjoyment every evening when I would get home from work tenderly watering the bucket - scanning for any signs of additional growth. I left them to settle for 3 painful weeks before at last blissfully taking to the rosemary with my scissors.

8 weeks later my herb bucket is still going strong and is the gift that keeps on giving. My red chilies are now fully mature and those fiery suckers are so special added to a meal. The basil has grown so much I think I’ll have to cut it all back and make jars of pesto so not to waste it.

I challenge everyone to take up this simple pleasure, which is getting back to nature and enjoying the fruits of your efforts.

You will need:-
Plastic 25L bucket
High grade potting mix (Yates works well)
Herb Support Fertilizer
Pre-potted Herbs (I used Sage, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Red Chili, Contentential Parsley, Coriander and Basil in this order)
Water
Love

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog! I just went today and bought all of the ingrediants for my own herb bucket as there was a feature on it in the latest House & Garden. Anyway, I've wanted to do it for ages and finally am doing it! Yours looks fab!

    ReplyDelete