January 17, 2010

Beginnings of a Petticoat for Jane

Inspiration comes from many sources at different times of your life. Mine came when I hit another 20 something age and found all my efforts to capitalize on all the opportunities favored upon me as a babe of Generation Y left me feeling a little lacking in inspiration personally.

I have always been one who wanted to embrace every prospect in life to learn and grow and had many fanatical careers I wanted to aspire to. My aspirations lead me to complete two degrees and land a corporate career that has granted many challenges and rewards and continues to do so.

I was very satisfied with my life and the direction it was heading. I was independent, earning my own way, had great friends, had a great love and the world was my oyster and many ways all these things still apply.

However just as soon as I was blissfully content I became as quickly restless. It was not progressive, more something that came to me one day when I was passing through a trance at the conclusion of yet another working day that I gazed over another fellow workingwoman on the ferry with calmness and content that was quiet unusual for the 6pm rush hour. This woman featured all the artifacts of the working day’s drain, blouse slightly creased and a pair of heels discarded in a Harrods bag, however she did not bear the same depleting stares as the rest of the commuters. I soon noticed the source of this woman’s content. Nestled in her lap were two pearly sticks rhythmically knitting from a small ball of beige twine. 1,2,3….1,2,3…

Inspiration hit me at that moment and has never left me since. The chance spotting of a lone commuter has spun me into a drive and yearning that I never thought to exist within me.

I never took home economics at school, rather history, biology and chemistry as they were regarded as good prerequisites for university so my domestic skills did and still do leave much to be desired. I had so many lost opportunities to watch and learn from the domestic masters of my grandmothers as generations did before, although as a child of the 80’s I was more interested Malibu Barbie and Nintendo.

The motivation of starting a Petticoat for Jane blog is to share my new found inspiration to undertake domestic challenges unbeknown and relatively taboo to many girls of my generation. I wish to share the appreciation of the simple pleasures in life and to prove that to be accomplished domestically does not mean choosing between a career or being a housewife, rather a personal indulgence that can be enjoyed by all occupations.

No comments:

Post a Comment